Saturday 24 December 2022

Veloviewer tiles- day 1

 Considering it was the 23rd when I started, (and I was baking a Stollen), there wasn't a whole lot of time to get outo for a massive ride.... and also, even if I did, the distance wouldn't be counted for the Rapha500 (If I was doing it, of course). 


It would have been rude to let a day go by without getting out and grabbing a couple of tiles, so it wasn't until the afternoon that I was able to head out for a bit of a bimble. There were a couple of tiles relatively close to home that would be good to get: over at Lane End, and at the top of Culver. Both, rather conveniently along the Coastal path, and within running distance of home. 

I took pretty much standard long distance running kit- all the stuff I would take in the hills, because- well, why not? Also, I'm not going for any records, so I might as well practice carrying the stuff. 

All fairly standard, run round to Bembridge, then along and down to the seafront and along towards the Lifeboat station. There we go- that's definitely the first tile sorted. Now just a simple run up to Culver.

Bembridge Lifeboad station. Yes, The sea is on an angle.

 

Underfoot was everything from tarmac to slipper clay, so it was nice to have some grip (albeit tired grip) in the form of some old VJ irocs. Up toward Culver I came across the section of path where I *really* badly twisted my ankle back in 2005/6. So badly that I had to call Dad to fetch me home. This was probably the incident that caused me to have no posterior ligament in my right ankle- and it was certainly the incident that led my right ankle to click every step I took when running for about a decade. Fun times. 

Yup. This is where it happened.

Up to the top of Culver and a tour right around the edge fence, just to be sure I got the tile- and then down.... I took a path that went right the way out to another fence- and then took a dogleg back. Once I got to the fence, I looked at the map and realised that the land was actually one of the very few pieces of open access land on the island, and I could simply have cut out about a kilometre of running and just run across the field. 


Silly....

But it wasn't until I got home and uploaded the run that the very end of that dogleg got me another tile! Hah! If I'd have been sneaky (intelligent) and cut off the distance, the tile would not have been got. Bonus tile! 

You can *just* see where that dog leg reaches into the tile with Yaverland!

Then back across to Centurions corner, over the marshes where Brading harbour once was in the times of the Romans (you really can see where what was once the harbour has very much silted up), and then back to home. 

Lovely little run out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment