Tuesday 20 December 2022

Veloviewer - Isle of Wight challenge

You may or may not have heard of Veloviewer. It’s a data aggregation platform that allows you to slice your strava data in a million different ways. 

Here is an aggregation of data looking at annual distance accumulation since 2011. You can see here, my distance is somewhat down on a couple of other years... I think this is a little off though, as it counts Zwift Kilometres (because Ive selected "everything") which seem less hard to accumulate than real ones....

A better understanding of my training comparisons over the years can be seen here:


 Where you can see that my actual time exercising (or at least, time recorded on a watch/bike computer) is way off where it was for many previous years- and only above 3 others in the past decade. The reduced time is mainly due to the fact I was somewhat pre-occupied with an MSc. this year- but  it is also a good explanation for not feeling quite as fit as I have done in the past.... it isn't to do with advancing age- it's to do with the act of less training. 

This analysis isn't why we're here though....


I love Veloviewer for many reasons, but THIS one was not really that much of an attraction until recently.

Tracks in the UK- where have I run/biked?

The Explorer tiles, basically dividing the world up into squares that you have either visited, or not. There are a few things you can track, such as how many unique squares you visited this year, or compared to last year, your total squares, the biggest square you’ve yet completed. It all gets a bit geeky to be honest.

As you can see- travel through a square- it changes colour...

Previously I’ve been much more interested in height gain and distance etc, but since getting through this last 15 months of academia I know I’m not in any real shape to start challenging previous times, and even imagining that I can is unlikely to motivate me to get out on the bike or into the hills.

Over Christmas I’m back home for a few days. There is of course the old Rapha 500 which I've completed the year I was in Mallorca with Hux.... I’ve biked around the island a couple of times previously and I don’t really want to do the same thing again -   which is probably the easiest way of gaining distance. 


However. I had a "better" idea.

The Isle of Wight is a very finite space. It only has a certain number of explorer squares on it.
I wonder how much of it I can get coloured in over the time I’m back home. Running and riding only.
I’ll stick it all on strava if you’re interested and will put up a blog with a final pic when I get back.



So here is a screenshot of what we have at the moment... I might post updates on insta... I guess it depends on weather and family duties... Happy Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. ah- and for those of you thinking "why are you advertising that you'll be away from home"- it won't be empty. T'other half is opting to stay at home, look after the cats and generally enjoy me not being at home disrupting the natural order of things.

    ReplyDelete