Wednesday 20 January 2021

Walking (&MRT) gear 2021

 Having had some comments and feedback about the Running gear that I'm using at the moment (Jan 2021), I was looking through my kit and thought there are some useful bits and bobs that I'm also using


on a fairly regular basis, just not for running. Call it walking- or MRT kit- that doesn't actually fall into the running category. 

As a continuing education for those who don't know about Mountain Rescue, everyone is a volunteer in MR, and although we do get some kind of kit either as a national or a local team, we don't get everything needed to go on the hill and so our hillgoing kit is very much personal and funded by each individual. 

The majority of teams will give out the following clothing:

Goretex jacket and pants/salopettes, primaloft "belay" jacket, paramo windproof, baselayers. 

Other kit will include a radio a helmet, eye and hearing protection for around helicopters maybe a search torch and a head torch and spare batteries. 

With that in mind, here is what I'm using for bimbling around the hills (sometimes at a pace). 

Baselayer

As before, I use Helly Hansen lifa baselayers. When it gets cold I use the "Warm" hellys, which are merino layers with a lifa backing. I use these as I have ecsema and Merino on its own really doesn't work on my skin. 

Midlayer

Over the baselayer the best thing I have ever used, bar none- is my Mountain Equipment Ultratherm.


Grid fleece backed pertex top, big zip pocket that you can roll the whole thing into for storage, full zipped AND it has an amazing hood- which zips away. Windproof, but not waterproof, it's a little too warm for anything faster than a slow run, but for walking- brilliant. ME keep making it, and then not making it, and then making it again. I don't know where they are on the cycle at the moment. They make something kind of similar with a much fluffier fleece in it- the Kinesis Jacket- but I don't think it is windproof

Warm layer 

Although I have an abiding love for my berghaus hypertherm, for walking I have a full zipped rab primaloft jacket. It's about the same weight as the Hypertherm in terms of insulation (so it really is not a full on belay jacket), but along with the other layers, it is plenty warm enough for all the stuff I need it for. (I don't think they even make it anymore- the closest they have is the Xenon jacket). Looking at Ultralightoutdoorgear the closest you're going to come is a Zipped Patagonia nanopuff, a Haglofs LIM Barrier or a Montane Icarus type thing

In MRT terms, we have a Buffalo special 6 and a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy- which is a brilliant bit of kit. The Buffalo gets used sometimes, but the fitzroy is carried or used ALL the time.

Waterproof

I have a "walking" waterproof- its a Goretex proshell (mountain hardwear Argon... crikey Ive had it
since 2010!) that I picked up cheap somewhere. It's *ok*, but not a lot more that I can say about it. The hood is nowhere near as good as my old Mountain Equipment Changabang, it's actually probably more of a climbing jacket than a walking jacket, and I'd much rather wear my OMM Aether smock. To be honest, I barely use the Argon and would prefer to buy another one- but don't really have the need to. 

In MRT terms we have a proshell. It depends on the team which Goretex jacket you get. Some go with the ME MRT Kongur, I've seen paramo, there is an Arcteryx version. etc,

So I couldn't find a picture of me in waterproofs. So have a look at this one instead.

Trousers

I should call this "legwear" really. I used to swear by softshell trousers in the hills, until I finally got around to buying a pair of Powerstretch tights. They are normally sold as Baselayer, but I now use them as a matter of course when walking (or MRTing) on the hill. They're warm, have a fair amount of windproofness about them, dry quickly, and feel fine with a pair of waterproof trousers over them. Ok, they aren't the most dignified bit of kit in the world, and I *probably* wouldn't go to a pub in them, but in terms of kit that works. These Work. 

Waterproof trouser-wise, I use the Montane eVent trousers mentioned in the previous blog if its not really going to be that bad. If the weather is properly minging, then its straight on with a pair of Mountain Equipment Hardshells (probably the Kongurs, but I don't remember). I have a personal pair and a pair for MR use. Bombproof. If I'd have bought a pair of Rab, or Arcteryx, or whatever, I'd probably be saying the same thing. Whatever the brand, if you're going to be out in crap weather, they are VERY much worth investing in.

Footwear

I have to confess to not really wearing boots anymore at all. I just got fed up of having leaking boots. I must have sent back 3 pairs of the same damn boot after wearing them for a grand total of 6 walks that ended up leaking. Just not good. So I accept Im going to get wet feet and wear fell shoes. The inov8 Arctic Claws are my preferred shoe now as I can fit 2 sets of socks in them at the same time (as in a liner and a neoprene). Unfortunately- as with quite a few things here, you can't get the things anymore! Such a shame.

Rucksacks

I have a couple, ok, 3... no, 4 walking rucksacks according to the needs of the walk. The Massive one is a Montane 70 litre Grand Tour which takes everything and more. It truely is a ridiculous size. As ever, its an old version, but there are other 70 litre packs around.


The one I use mostly for day hikes and battering around hills is the OMM Adventure 20, which, unsurprisingly, as with all my stuff, they don't make any more. However, they DO make a new version with a zip pocket rather than a clip.

The larger 35 litre is the OMM Jirischenca, it used to be my MRT sack as well, but is now for lightweight camping adventures. 

The one I currently use for MRT is a Salomon Peak40. It fits everything in it and has an inordinate amount of pockets around the harness to keep radios, phones, masks, gloves, snacks, compass, extra lights etc. to hand for immediate use. I really hate having to stop and get stuff out of my bag when on a shout- if it is all to hand, so much the better. The back is a bit long for me, and I'd love to try an Outweek 38+6 with the short back length, but unfortunately Im not made of money! (and it looks like it might soon not be made anymore.... Classic.

Poles

Leki Micro Vario Carbons. Got them for the Spine. Used them on and off ever since.  

Gloves

As previously mentioned, I tend to use Mitts these days. I have a really old pair of Montane Extreme mitts with Goretex outers and a pair of Montane resolute mitts. When One of those is drying I borrow Lynnes Primaloft Mountain Equipment Mitts. I have no idea which model they are, but they are LOVELY. 




It' quite nice going through all your stuff and working out what you do and don't use. The most obvious thing that I've noticed doing this little exercise is just how much of my stuff has proved to be really robust and resilient over a number of years. So much so that there are a number of items that you literally cannot buy any more. 

I've also noticed that I have quite a lot of stuff by Mountain Equipment. This is partially because they have a factory pretty close to us and occasionally have factory sales, and partly because the stuff just seems to fit me well. 

I know that clothing companies have to stay in business, and they have to keep making upgrades and different clothing lines, changing things through seasons, and that is fine. It is also evident that the lighter weight you go, the more fragile the item. This is one of the reasons why I still haven't invested in a Shakedry jacket yet. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have one, but simply can't justify the cost for the fact that I'm probably going to trash it within a few months.

At the end of the day, when you're talking about the relative merits of waterproofs I am reminded of a test I did back in 2009. There were 5 of us in brand new jackets, from ME, Arcteryx, Rab, MHW and someoneelse that I can't remember. We did a day of scrambling in the wet in Wales. By the end of the day we were ALL wet through. A waterproof will NOT keep you entirely dry, no matter how much you spend on it. Have a read of the review of Mike Parsons book- and then read the book.
Epic day out. Doesn't matter what you're wearing. You're going to get wet.


 

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could find a brand that made waterproofs for short arms and legs. Articulated knees/elbows are all very well until they're halfway down your wrists/calves! My ski jacket is particularly ridiculous, but it's the only one that fits both my chest and a transceiver...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I knew of such a brand, I'd certainly point you in their direction. Until such time... um... well. Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete