Thursday 14 May 2020

Montane Prism Mitts- a re-iteration

I get cold hands. (And cold feet- but that is more a cycling issue- of which I shall bore you about another time)- and so I wear gloves and mitts an awful lot. In the past few years I've probably spent more money on various hand coverings than I would care to admit, but one set of mitts has come out on top of all the others in terms of warmth to weight ratio.

Montane Prism Mitts

I come back to these time and again. They are by far the most used handcovering in current circulation in the running drawer- and tend to get packed in a bag no matter what the season or weather. It's always nice to have something to warm your hands up with, and at the crazy light weight and virtual forget-about pack size- these are amazing.

No. They are not waterproof, and yes, if they get drenched, they do tend to get a bit chilly, so if there is a chance of rain a set of Tuffbags get deployed as well. As a set, these 2 mitts have seen me through most races, runs and challenges in the past 3 years.

Minor issues that need to be noted....
I have had 2 pairs of the Prism mitts so far. The first ones continued to be brilliant for about 2 years. At that point, it was noticeable that my hands were colder during winter runs- the insulation seemed less insulative and there came a point where it was almost like I wasn't wearing mitts at all- my hands were so cold! Something was definitely up... so I borrowed Lynnes pair for a run and WOW! my hands were toasty again.
Dead insulation in the originals? Not entirely sure- I do still have them though, so I will be doing a bit of a post-mortem on them.
Yup- its a bit fragile on the palm- and these are nearing the end of their life.

The second pair have been going for a good couple of years- maybe even 3 years now. The insulation is indeed dying a bit, but more obviously, I've slipped on a couple of rocks and trashed the palm on both of them.
Lightweight does indeed mean things are not exactly durable, I'm down with that. So I stuck on some tenacious tape to see how they went... not great. The tape has come off (I was being fairly stingy, I have to admit), and the wind whistles through the holes in the mitts.

I think it is about time to do some de-stitching and see if I can make a single pair of useful franken-mitts out of the remains of the 2 pairs I have kicking around.... though come winter, I suspect I will be putting my money down for another pair of Prism Mitts.

2 comments:

  1. I too am a big fan of the Prisms as I also suffer with cold hands - v. interesting comment re insulation fatigue - hopefully won't need to wear them for a good few months but will bear in mind as we approach Autumn/Winter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Buffalo mitts rather than Prisms for running. The buffalos pack down very nearly as small, are possibly warmer, and more or less indestructible. The Prisms go in my pocket when walking/in everyday life because they're so compact.

    ReplyDelete