Thursday 3 August 2023

Cracken Edge Fell Race 2023

 Two races in as many weeks? Goodness, you'd almost think I was getting to enjoy them again. No, I can assure, I am not getting addicted, and there will not be a proliferation of race related blogs. The Cracken Edge Race is an important fixture in the calendar as it is run by Kinder Mountain Rescue- and there is the honour of the Buzz Lightyear trophy at stake. The fastest Mountain rescue team (or at least, their first 3 runners) gets the trophy. Unfortunately I was injured last year (calf strain/tear from over enthusiasm and "training error"), but others from Glossop MRT were there to fill in the gaps. 

This year Glossop MRT managed to field 10 runners (it would have been 11 had covid not reared it's ugly head again), which I think is a record turnout for us... indeed for any Mountain Rescue Team. Also included in that we had 3 ladies, which would have made a womens team as well, which was absolutely amazing. 

The route was the same as ever- very runnable (and I tried to make sure I ran as much of it as possible this time around), but very wet underfoot. It has been raining a lot recently- and it was raining right up until we set off as well. Although the kit requirements were "take what you think is appropriate"- which a lot of people took to mean "no kit", I took a waterproof and a bumbag to put it in- partially as this wasn't going to be an absolute eyeballs out effort, and partially because I would probably want a coat at the end when hanging around. 

Knowing that my preparation for this race has not been optimal, mixing it with the fast lads at the front was not going to be an option. Ok- it was an option- but not an intelligent one. I can hold my own over a few hours, but on a short and fast course, no chance- so I started somewhat further back in the field. The initial uphill is always a killer, and quite a sorter, and going off full beans here would have certainly taken a lot more out of me than I'd have liked. 

Off we went, and I slowly picked my way through the field on the way up, passing Chris J, and eventually catching Paul Skuse on the road up to the mast. First climb out of the way, and the pace settled a little. Going much faster was not really possible, and looking at my HR after the race, it does seem like I don't really have that ability to push into that extra gear/speed without massively overdoing the exertion. So I pootled along at somewhere around 150-160bpm with other people around me sounding like they were dying- but not really able to push on much faster. 

For the first time in a few years I got to the stile and had to queue before getting over, which was a novelty- getting my breath back mid-race, and I made good on the road, passing Saul on the way to the next climb- which was very sogggy underfoot. On the way up here I started leapfrogging with a couple of Macc Harriers which would continue right to the very end. I never looked behind me, so couldn't tell you how close anyone else was. 

Along from New Allotments down to the road was fairly swift, and on the road we caught and passed a guy in Hokas. I managed to lead the way down to the stile, but was quite quickly caught and passed on the ascent up to the quarry, not only by the battling Macc Harriers, but also by the guy in Hoka's who was climbing like a demon. I managed to run the entire race up to the final 10 metre section to Big Stone (not sure if this did me any good at all, seeing as the others around me were switching between walking and running on the ascent- but it did my ego good), and I continued onward in the midst of the Macc guys, who overtook me on the flattish sections from New Allotments (in the other direction) out to the final(ish) descent. 

Still not really able to raise my heartrate all that much without blowing, I continued at my own pace, wondering why it wasn't raining and if it would have been better to leave my bumbag at the start, I came to the long downhill towards Phoside. Initially it is long and groovy, and pretty easy to run. Would I have gained much more distance in the past when I was better at descending? No idea really- but it seemed like I wasn't gaining much. Then the track peels right and becomes more technical, where I definitely gained some time, then it peels right again and goes down into the woods and is a lot muddier and slippier- first overtake on the way down to the single track between the gates- and now there is less than a kilometre to the end. 

The first Macc guy is behind me, and I don't think he'll really trouble me again- but the other one, and the Hoka guy are in front. I just need to keep in touch in the last couple of fields as the final dash down the field to the end is genuinely my favourite part of any race, anywhere. They pull out a couple of metres on me, but stumble through the last stile/gate which enables me to get to a decent distance to them- we round the final flags and hit the descent to the finish- there is a clear, trodden track with long swishy grass everywhere else, so I take that and let loose, instantly overtaking the other 2 and leaving them for (somewhat damp) dust. 

Maybe I was in the top 20? I don't really know, and won't until the results are out. However, the jacket that I packed and carried all the way around came in very useful as I wandered back up the course taking photos of the rest of the team as they passed me on the way to the finish, and encouraged everyone else in the race. 

We did indeed retain the Buzzlightyear trophy, and good fun was had by all- I have to put out a special mention to all those in Glossop MRT who would not, under normal circumstances have entertained the idea of running around Cracken Edge of an evening. Well done- damn fine effort. 



No comments:

Post a Comment